Each month, some 200 people gather at the area’s hottest, sustainably operated spots for Green Drinks Annapolis.
Drawn by a shared concern over the impacts of Climate Change and a desire to mitigate them, academics and government officials, business owners and nonprofit leaders, staff and volunteers, students, homemakers, artists and everyday people join together for a lively and informal evening of socializing and learning about serious issues while having fun.
Cocktails are available (yes, they are occasionally green) along with local culinary specialties and nonalcoholic beverages. Each gathering is themed, providing current knowledge on everything from driving electric to the effects of rising seas on Annapolis to sustainable building materials and local agriculture.
Nowhere else will you meet more eco-minded people from all areas of Greater Annapolis’ environmental and business communities.
Thirsty for more? Stay tuned as we build our archive of past events.
Join us at an upcoming Green Drinks Annapolis gathering! View our Community Calendar.
Banner photo by Jack Turner.
The Flowers & The Trees
ok, mainly the trees
Join us at Annapolis Green’s
Virtual Happy Hour Watch Party!
Thursday, April 2
7pm on Facebook Watch
We’re cooking up a great way for us to get together on Thursday — it’s a virtual Green Drinks on Facebook!
Going online, we’re focusing on “The Flowers and the Trees” to follow our February Green Drinks theme which was “The Birds and the Bees.” And although the flowers are beautiful and in bloom, we’ll turn our attention to the trees, highlighting all the benefits trees give us.
So, join us in the spirit of trying something new in our emerging virtual world and to have some fun while learning great things!
About The Party
This virtual hour will be filled with short videos from several of our local partners and very respected sources that will provide ideas and education. And don’t worry, there will be lots of opportunities to interact!
You’ll be able to ask questions, add your own experiences and connect with old and new friends.
You’ll learn about the terrific benefits trees provide to the planet, how to select trees, how to plant them and how to take care of them.
Our Facebook Watch Party sponsor is the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay. the Alliance is one of the oldest and well-respected non-profits working throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed. It works in all six states and the District of Columbia to bring together communities, companies, and conservationists to improve our lands and waters. I addition to its well known Project Clean Stream, the Alliance has several programs dedicated to conserving Chesapeake forests and we’ll talk about them with Alliance folks including executive director Kate Fritz.
Also featured is Homestead Gardens, would-be hosts of our in-person Green Drinks. Homestead tree experts will provide info on trees and an exciting announcement about our online seminars they are planning with Annapolis Green.
- The City of Annapolis’ Memorial Tree & Bench Program, Trees of Distinction Program, and GreenScape
- Special Guest former Mayor Ellen Moyer, who was instrumental in setting up tree protection and beautification programs in the City
- DNR’s Marylanders Plant Trees and Tree-Mendous Maryland
- Watershed Stewards’ Replant Anne Arundel Program
- County Forester Bud Reeves
How does the Watch Party Work?
- If you’re not a member of our Facebook group page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/annapolisgreen/ go there now and join.
- Make a date with yourself-put the event on your calendar.
- Get a snack and a beverage ready for our toast to the future! We encourage you to make sure you are stocked with some local beers or wine (organic, preferred) and support your local restaurants offering take-out or delivery. (For take-out within City limits click here.)
- Then on Thursday at 7pm, go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/annapolisgreen/ to join us the party!
No registration (but we’ll miss Rita, Sandy, Daphne and Susan checking us in) and name tags are optional. Hey if you want to wear a tree hat, go for it! And of course we will have a drinking game so we can all toast together! You’ll never guess what the “drink word” is!
We know this will be a success (aren’t you just glued to your devices?) and we’ll continue reaching out in this way each month until we can see you in person again.
We’d like to thank Maggie Hughes who dreamed up our Facebook Watch Party, is putting our videos together, and running with it!