First Day Hikes in Maryland State Parks
First Day Hikes include First Weekend Outdoor Opportunities, with Ranger-led Hikes and Self-Guided Hike Options for the Whole Family!
Maryland State Parks will be offering First Weekend hike opportunities across the state from December 31, 2021- January 2, 2022. First Day Hikes are part of a nationwide initiative led by America’s State Parks that encourages all 50 states to offer outdoor hiking opportunities on the first day of the new year! Join in Maryland on January 1 or throughout the first weekend of the new year for a hike at a state park near you.
The closest one to us is a self-guided, mile-long, easy First Day Hike in Sandy Point State Park. Read more.
First Day Hikes in Anne Arundel County
The hikes are intended to promote an alternate way of celebrating the New Year by going outside, getting some exercise, and enjoying local nature and history. Start your year off on the right foot by joining knowledgeable park rangers, naturalists, and volunteers in one of our County’s beautiful parks:
- Bacon Ridge Natural Area, 10am – noon
- Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 9am – noon
- Downs Park, 10 – 11:30am
- Kinder Farm Park, 10 – 11:30am
- Fort Smallwood Park, 10 – 11am
- Lake Waterford Park, 10 – 11:30am
- South River Farm Park, noon – 2pm
- Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Park, 2 – 3:30pm
- Magothy Greenway Natural Area, 10am – 2pm
- Magothy River Association presents a self-guided hike, perfect for social distancing, that includes a scavenger hunt for kids (and grown-ups).
Sturdy footwear, binoculars, cameras, and a water bottle are recommended. Dress for the weather. Current health guidelines will be followed. This program is free, but registration is required.
First Day Hikes in Annapolis
Spa Creek – Join the Spa Creek Conservancy and hike in the creek that runs through the heart of Annapolis. Info.
Tags: Anne Arundel County Parks, Bacon Ridge Natural Area, Downs Park, Fort Smallwood Park, Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Park, Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, Kinder Farm Park, Lake Waterford Park, Magothy Greenway Natural Area, Magothy River, Magothy River Association, South River Farm Park, Spa Creek, Spa Creek Conservancy, State of Maryland Parks