"Do Good. Have Fun."
with Annapolis Green, Keep America Beautiful and Bud Light
Thank you to the more than 70 volunteers who cleaned-up and refreshed the Ellen O. Moyer Back Creek Nature Park on Saturday, July 26. We partnered with Keep America Beautiful on this Bud Light-sponsored project and we followed up with a big party at Port Annapolis Marina, right next door, courtesy of Bud Light.
In the morning we assigned them jobs that had been coordinated with the city's Recreation and Parks department. We planted dozens of plants, we scrubbed the features in the park including signs and wooden steps and picnic tables. We picked up litter. We hammered down protruding nails. We cut back overgrown invasive species. We screwed down dangerously loose planks on the pier. And we spread pile after pile of wood chips along the trails.
It really was a community effort. In addition to the main sponsorship from Bud Light, local organizations stepped up to help make it a success, largely at their own expense. Thank you to:
- Chesapeake Bay Roasting Company for donating morning coffee
- WRNR 103.1FM for providing "pump-up" music to get everyone in a great mood om the early morning rain
- MOM's Organic Market for donating healthy snacks
- Garden Girls for providing landscaping assistance and obtaining the plants at a discount
- Spa Creek Conservancy for use of the tools such as shovels and rakes
- Members of the Bayhawks professional lacrosse team for participating and working hard
- Main Ingredient for providing lunch for the volunteers
- Eco-Armour for providing all-natural bug repellent
- Port Annapolis Marina for donating the use of its pavilion
- Keep America Beautiful staff for their hard work and leadership
- Bud Light (event sponsor) and local distributor Katcef for the "Have Fun" beverages
- Recreation & Parks employees, particularly Travin and Vernon, for their invaluable assistance and hard work
- Former Mayor Ellen Moyer for the inspiration
- And to the wonderful volunteers who worked hard to make this a success!
Annapolis Community Boating, whose headquarters is in the Park, partnered with us too, providing boats for on-the-water little pick-up and lots of event support. Annapolis Community Boating's mission is to make boating accessible and fun for all.
The generally agreed upon value of a volunteer hour in Maryland is about $25.50. That is the figure used by many philanthropic organizations. Using that number, times three hours, times 70 volunteers, the total value of the volunteer labor donated to the city was $5355. Add to that about $1000 worth of plants.
A lot of people talked about making this an annual event and we just might. Thank you to everybody who worked so hard doing good and later, having fun.
Our event was one of more than 60 locations across the country where this summer young people will joined together to do some good work for the community and have fun too!
Annapolis Green, as an affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, was asked to organized a project that would have a beneficial impact on the community. We decided that a clean-up, spruce-up of the Ellen O. Moyer Nature Park on Back Creek would fit the bill and provide a good starting point for establishing a Back Creek Conservancy in the near future. That was the Do Good part. It only made sense to have the Have Fun part -- the celebration party -- at Port Annapolis Marina, right next door.
See the Do Good Have Fun Facebook page... lots of photos of events in other locations and ours!
See the video below for another community's Do Good Have Fun event.